If you or your organisation are interested in becoming involved in our project please contact us now!
◦ To develop mutually agreed protocols and quality standards for the establishment, development and maintenance of Welfare Boards on a global basis, accepting that a ‘one size’ rule will not fit all.
◦ To establish the details and operational effectiveness of existing Welfare Boards worldwide, and identify potentially interested project participants.
◦ To evaluate and monitor port welfare services, facilities and contacts utilising MNWB’s “bespoke” port welfare database software.
◦ To provide a ‘central’ or ‘single’ point of contact and web based facility to gauge the level of interest in project participation in order to help a small number of countries establish Welfare Boards.
◦ To actively encourage, where appropriate, the establishment of port levy schemes and/or donations as a means of supporting bone fide organisations providing seafarers’ welfare activities.
◦ To prepare, promote and seek sponsors for a larger, more comprehensive international Welfare Boards development programme - see Funding & Major Project.
◦ To establish and support new welfare boards in as many different countries as possible and encourage project participation and increase membership of ISWAN.
Under the auspices of MLC, 2006, MNWB intends to achieve project success by achieving the following key Objectives:
The ISWAN project has a number of objectives, however, the main aim is to work with representatives of appropriate international maritime organisations, governments, ship owners, maritime unions, port owners/authorities and voluntary organisations to establish and support Welfare Boards, in accordance with MLC,2006 4.4, in at least five different countries whilst simultaneously seeking support for a larger international Welfare Boards development programme.